The Assistant Editor works with Tor.com's Publisher and Senior Editor. The position is a balance of departmental support, editorial support and editorial acquisition. They will be assigned a portion of each season’s list to shepherd through launch, production,
and publication, and will provide administrative support to the Publisher and editorial staff as needed. Depending on experience, they will also be expected to make original acquisitions.
· Read and evaluate submissions
· Concisely report on two to three submissions per week, as assigned by the publisher and editorial staff, to be determined at editorial meetings. Reports should evaluate the literary quality of the book, its place in the market, backlist potential.
· Handle some titles as presenter at launch.
· Under the guidance of the editors, assist on editing originals as assigned.
· Depending on experience, make own original acquisitions.
· Interest in and motivation to develop agent, author, media, bookseller contacts.
· Compose jacket and catalogue copy, and send to author/agent for approval
· Help brainstorm and conceptualize cover concepts.
· With Marketing, help determine key selling points for seasonal launch meetings and in tip and launch sheets
· Maintain a close relationship with the Managing Editor, keeping all books assigned to the Associate Editor on their production schedule
· Collate quotes and reviews and input them into Biblio
· Implement meta data requests
· Generate contracts and check requests as needed
· Run P&Ls for manuscripts under consideration
· Write title copy, selling points etc. for Biblio Launch and Tip Sheets
· Schedule meetings and announce meetings on behalf of the publisher and senior editor (as well as book conference rooms)
· Print out bookscan figures, monthly sales figures, and sales numbers as requested by the publisher and the editorial staff
Required Skills / Knowledge:
· Wide-ranging reading interest in science fiction and fantasy
· Interest in the business of publishing
· Microsoft Office
· Proficient writing skills
· Knowledge and experience in the publishing industry
· Multitasker, diplomatic, and possessing strong communication skills.
· 1-3 years fiction publishing experience required
Educational Background Required:
· Some college