||Extended School Year- Teacher Assistants
||MANDATORY WORK DAYS:
• Mandatory Orientation dates: June 26th-June 29th
• Mandatory Program Dates: July 10th-August 18th
Works under the supervision and direction of the Classroom Teacher to provide instructional support to students. Also, assists the Classroom Teacher in day to day classroom activities for all students including academic, behavioral, therapeutic components.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Sensitivity to cultural diversity of others.
2. Under the direction of the Teacher, provides instruction and instructional support to students.
3. Under the direction of the Teacher, independently carries out assigned, individualized instructional and therapeutic programs both within and outside the classroom setting. including: necessary lifting, moving, positioning; gross motor; fine motor; range
of motion, self care, communication; therapeutic feeding; cognitive; prevocational; ADL; adaptive PE; behavior management programs; data collection systems; reinforcement systems.
4. Assists in creating and maintaining a positive educational atmosphere including the health, medical and safety concerns of the students.
5. Respectfully interacts with students in age-appropriate manner, maintaining their right for privacy and confidentiality at all times. Assists the Teacher in ensuring that all classroom staff respectfully interacts with students, staff and visitors.
6. Participates in creating and maintaining a positive work environment.
7. Effectively and appropriately interacts and communicates with classroom and professional team members.
8. Upon completion of structured activities maintains an effective level of interaction with students during transition. Assists the Teacher in ensuring that classroom staff are actively engaged in an appropriate level of interaction with the students throughout
9. Handles and utilizes student equipment appropriately. Understands the purpose and function of student equipment and is able to use it appropriately in an independent manner.
10. Ensures the maintenance and care of classroom, equipment and materials.
11. Assists in the design and development of classroom projects and materials including daily preparations. Assists with the creation of instructional materials.
12. Ensures Classroom Teacher is aware of detailed, relevant information and observations concerning the students' needs, behavior, academic performance and overall running of the classroom.
13. Provides the Teacher with information about students that will assist the Teacher in the development of appropriate learning experiences.
14. Implements and directs classroom programs/activities with individual, small and large groups of students.
15. In the absence of the Teacher, supports the Substitute Teacher to ensure effective classroom programming, including: implementation of programs; direction of classroom staff; decisions regarding staff assignments and classroom schedules and activities;
report issues/information to the teacher, supervisor or other professional team members; completes daily/weekly records.
16. Participates in the training and direction of Paraprofessionals, Substitute Aides and \Classroom Volunteers under the guidance of the Teacher.
17. Communicates appropriately with parents and caregivers.
18. Carries out any other classroom related activities directed by the Teacher, Clinician, or designee.
19. Provides behavioral support for students as assigned, including implementing agency approved emergency physical interventions.
20. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Required: NYS Teacher Assistant Certification or candidates who have passed the NYS Assessment of Teaching Assistant Test (NYSATAS) will be considered (you will need to show proof you have passed the exam and have limited time to become certified by NY State).
Preferred: Certification as listed above plus minimal of one year experience working with youth in educational or residential program.
||Send This Job to a Friend