The National Fire Protection Association’s mission is to help save lives and reduce loss with information, knowledge and passion. An international nonprofit established in 1896, we are dedicated to the elimination of death, injury, property and economic
loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards. The Association delivers information and knowledge through more than 300 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest
in furthering the NFPA mission.
Want to be part of something big? As an employee of the National Fire Protection Association, you are working toward truly making a difference all over the world. You play a key role in keeping first responders safe, helping to provide architects
with guidelines for building design and safety, providing education to children in schools, and so much more. Employees at NFPA bring a collective passion to work every day as together, they contribute toward solving the fire problem…all while being offered
great benefits, including a generous 403(b) match and an on-site fitness center.
Want to make a difference? Join Us.
NFPA is currently recruiting for an Electrical Expert to join the team! This team member will provide a direct technical connection between NFPA and our stakeholders with respect to the National Electrical Code and NFPA’s Electrical activities. Connect stakeholders
to the applicable electrical information and knowledge around the National Electrical Code and how it applies to their technical situations and emerging challenges. To provide internal electrical expertise around the National Electrical Code, Electricians,
Electrical Inspectors, and emerging energy technologies. Work with assigned Technical Committees to independently manage and facilitate the development of NFPA Codes and Standards. As a technical expert, assist external stakeholders on the interpretation and
implementation of the Codes and Standards. Serve as a technical resource to develop new and existing products, provide outreach and advocacy support, develop educational materials and conduct training to support adoption, use, and application of the Codes
and Standards. Represent the Association to key external stakeholders.
- Manages highly complex technical committee activities and projects through the NFPA document development and revision process in accordance with the regulations governing NFPA documentation.
- Leads, facilitates and documents highly technical discussions among committee members.
- Reviews committee submissions with Chair and makes recommendations to the Standards Council on incorporation of submissions into the Standards process.
- Edits and revises code documentation to reflect decisions and identifies sections that need additional input or clarification by stakeholders.
- Organizes and schedules committee meetings and prepares meeting logistics.
- As a technical expert, answers inquiries, conducts research, and provides interpretations to committee and community members on Codes and Standards requirements. Interact with and responds to media inquiries as needed
- Advises and acts as a technical resource in the review and development of new and existing products, training materials, marketing materials and outreach efforts.
- Partners with Technical Committee Chairs to review applications for new committee members.
- Develops and/or revises training, presentations, handbooks or other documentation to explain the code and support adoption of the code by stakeholders.
- Delivers training, presentations, and leads seminars on technical topics at industry events, to customers, Association members and other stakeholders.
- Independently represents the association as a liaison with federal, state and local officials in support of their adoption of NFPA codes and standards, and works with other standard development organizations to coordinate related standards activities.
- Serves as an Association spokesperson, attends stakeholder meetings, conferences and exhibitions and fosters industry relationships to understand constituent’s needs to aid in product development
- Provides input into budgeting activities
- Provides advice and guidance, mentoring and training to less senior Staff Liaisons on process, administrative or technical issues.
Job Requirements and Experience:
- 7 to 10 years of experience in the electrical field including work as a journeyman electrician, master electrician, and successful project management.
- Experience in emerging energy technologies such as solar, wind, and/or energy storage systems required.
- Education: Vocational Training with a minimum of Master Electrician License required. An engineering degree with equivalent experience/expertise is acceptable.
- Licenses: Minimum Master Electrician License. Additional professional certification or licensure in area of expertise (i.e., engineering) is acceptable.
- In depth understanding of the National Electrical Code, its use, and application.
- In depth understanding of the Electrical Enforcement Community and its connection to the National Electrical Code.
- Ability to quickly understand electrical problems/code questions and connect them to technical solutions.
- Experience with installation and project management of emerging technologies such as solar panels, wind, and energy storage systems.
- Ability to understand complex electrical issues/challenges and communicate solutions to various levels of expertise and skill;
- Strong ability to work collaboratively on projects and teams to meet deadlines and to adjust when changes occur;
- Proven track record of project management and working through challenges to successful completion;
- Ability to work flexibly with challenging and changing deadlines;
- Work independently on short and long term projects;
- Proven ability with public presentations including presentation development and delivery to various size audiences;
- Excellent verbal and written communication;
- Meeting facilitation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to forge relationships with large cross-section of constituents;
- Ability to effectively navigate and resolve complex situations with diplomacy;
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend