||Design Production Assistant (Contract)
||Hayden-McNeil, part of Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions, is a custom publisher of course specific educational materials, and is looking for a contract Design Production Assistant. This position will provide support to our Publishing team during
the Fall 2019 production season. This role will be required from approximately March through July, possibly longer. This person will report to the Design and Prepress Manager. This is a production position, and does not have creative/design responsibilities.
Must be available to work onsite in our Plymouth, MI office, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Interested applicants please submit resume for further consideration.
As a follow up, you may also be asked to complete our candidate questionnaire. Selected candidates will be required to complete onsite testing, as a part of the screening process.
• Preparing text files for typesetting and author revisions (scanning hard copy for OCR conversion, text clean up, exporting text from InDesign or Adobe PDF to create Word docs)
• Photo research and preparation of photos for typesetting using standard Hayden-McNeil processes and direction from the project designer
• Supporting our remote workers (scanning project materials, copying files to project folders, packaging materials for freelance production work, email correspondence, and PDF preflighting and certification)
• Creating editable PDFs for authors to use in preparing content revisions for new editions
• Printing covers and text for the production team for small reprint orders
• Typesetting simple author and proofreader revisions using InDesign CC 2018
• Printing/assembling/binding sales samples for the sales reps
• Provide archiving support for project materials at the end of the season
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Sufficient knowledge in production processes to work with minimal supervision
• Proficiency in graphic design applications on the Mac platform – Adobe Creative Cloud – InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, and Microsoft Word
• Knowledge of long document production helpful (200-400 pages on average).
• Ability to work independently and multitask in managing, organizing, and prioritizing assignments • Flexible and able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral (strong interpersonal communication skills)
• Customer service orientation
• Ability to problem solve and find solutions
• Follows directions and established department processes and procedures
• Works well as a team player
• Ability to work under pressure and maintain professional attitude
o 40 per week
o Plymouth, Michigan
• Minimum 1 year working experience in the advertising, graphic design or publishing field, or experience in prepress operations
Educational Background Required:
• An Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Commercial Graphic Arts is preferred