||Design Production Assistant (Contract)
||Hayden-McNeil, part of Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions, is a custom publisher of course specific educational materials, and is looking for seasonal assistance. Our seasonal staff will provide support to our Publishing team during the Winter and
Fall production seasons. This role will be required from October 2019 through December of 2020, with the busiest periods between October and mid-December, and mid-February through mid-August. For more information, and to apply, please see job details listed
This seasonal position will support an 8-person Design team of a custom publisher that produces course specific materials for universities and colleges throughout the country. This person will report to the Design and Prepress Manager and be responsible for
any/all of the following tasks:
• Preparing text files for typesetting and author revisions (scanning hard copy for OCR conversion, text clean up, exporting text from InDesign or Adobe PDF to create Word docs)
• Photo research and preparation of photos for typesetting using standard Hayden-McNeil processes
• Supporting our remote workers (scanning project materials, copying files to project folders, packaging materials for freelance production work, email correspondence, and PDF preflighting and certification)
• Creating editable PDFs for authors to use in preparing content revisions for new editions
• Printing covers and text for the production team for small reprint orders
• Providing simple typeset revision assistance
• Printing/assembling/binding sales samples in support of the sales reps
• Provide archiving support for project materials at the end of the season
• Minimum 1 year working experience in the advertising, graphic design or publishing field, or experience in prepress operations.
• An Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Commercial Graphic Arts is preferred.
• Sufficient knowledge in production processes to work with minimal supervision.
• Proficiency in graphic design applications on the Mac platform – Adobe Creative Cloud – InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, and Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of long document production helpful (200-400 pages on average).
• Ability to work independently and multitask in managing, organizing, and prioritizing projects.
• Flexible and able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral (strong interpersonal communication skills).
• Customer service orientation.
• Ability to problem solve and find solutions.
• Follows directions and established department processes and procedures.
• Works well as a team player.
• Ability to work under pressure and maintain professional attitude.
This is a production position and does not have creative/design responsibilities. Must be available to work onsite in our Plymouth, MI office throughout the year, primarily October through mid-December, and mid-February through mid-August, Monday – Friday,
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Interested applicants please submit resume for further consideration. As a follow up, you may also be asked to complete our candidate questionnaire. Selected candidates will be required to complete onsite testing, as a part of the screening process.
Thank you for your interest in Hayden-McNeil!