Inside Sales Representative
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC (“BFW”), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources.
Macmillan Learning is a premier higher education publishing company. We publish high quality texts and online resources across a variety of disciplines. Our titles include David Myers’ Exploring Psychology (the #1 Intro Psych text on the market) and Diana Hacker’s A Writer’s Reference (the #1 handbook on the market). Our legacy of excellence in education informs our approach to developing world-class content with pioneering and interactive teaching tools.
Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. At Macmillan, we take great pride in the work we do. We view our role not only as a corporate contributor, but also as a global citizen. As such we uphold a sustainability initiative to reduce CO2 emissions by 65% by the end of 2020.
We offer a superb benefits package including vision, dental 401K, and paid vacation, sick and personal days. Other incentives includes our Macmillan Digital Library with access to all of our trade titles and complimentary beverages (seltzer, soda, tea, coffee). Our Hamilton, NJ location offers a warm and family friendly community. We host monthly pot lucks and yearly employee appreciation days and team building events.
Purpose of the Role:
The Inside Sales Representative will engage in the daily proactive sales efforts (via phone, email, web conferences, presentations, targeted marketing and occasional in-person visits) to promote the full line of Macmillan Learning products and reach their assigned annual sales goal. Our sales reps are true consultants to their customers – making recommendations from our vast product line to fit an individual instructor’s course needs. Through ownership of their assigned territory, the representative is required to be knowledgeable about individual states’ trends and opportunities and work both independently and in collaboration with their manager and rep peers. We are looking for candidates with a strong phone presence and superb relationship building skills.
• Proactive daily sales calls to professors, campus faculty, campus administration and bookstore managers to build relationships and close business.
• Consult with professors, administrators and educational leaders to match the appropriate product with course. Send sample textbooks or demo media accordingly.
• Track all sales opportunities through Salesforce.com database.
• Persist on existing opportunities and tracking the opportunity until the sale is closed.
• Uncover new sales opportunities through conversations and inquires.
• Manage and capitalize on incoming requests.
• Run and capitalize on existing reports to track business, uncover new business and pull calling lists.
• Monitor ordering trends and requirements by speaking with faculty, bookstores, reviewing college websites and tracking opportunities. The representative is expected to be the spokesperson for their territory and will be asked to share that knowledge in many different occasions.
• Capitalize on sales opportunities by coordinating appointments with decision making faculty.
• Sample material and reach out to key decision makers.
• Coordinate and work with sales manager, specialist, and marketing to capitalize on large opportunities.
• Develop in-depth product knowledge of the disciplines identified as critical to the territory’s success in a given year.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of competitors’ products in markets that are key to the territory’s growth and success.
• Attend the company’s National Sales Meeting yearly and partake in additional training sessions.
PLANNING AND GROWTH
• Work closely with Publishers, Editors, Marketing Managers, and National Consultants to develop successful strategies designed to gain market share. Communicate and reinforce those strategies at regional and national meetings, and day to day with the other inside sales representatives.
• Develop a working Territory Operating plan that can be used throughout the selling season.
• Set and meet daily, weekly and monthly goals. These goals should include a clear set of target accounts.
• Manage a calendar of important dates and upcoming events.
• Delegate tasks to the sales specialists and sales operations team to help manage the territory’s workload.
• Minimum of two years successful sales or marketing experience, with demonstrated success selling into core markets
• Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with sales management, sales representatives, editors and marketing managers.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, and relationship-building skills.
• Available to travel occasionally.
• Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles
• Sets high standards for his/her performance
• Uses time efficiently
• Follows through on commitments
• Changes approach or method to best fit the situation
• Speaks persuasively in positive/negative situations
• Responds well to questions, if needed
• Demonstrates group presentation skills
• Strategizes to meet organizational goals
• Demonstrated expertise in technology.
• Basic excel knowledge
• Knowledge of salesforce.com preferred
• Advanced Excel knowledge preferred
• Experience using Gmail and Gmail add on tools (i.e. hangouts, drive, google sheets, etc) preferred
• Background in Education preferred
Bachelor’s Degree or Higher
Send This Job to a Friend
Visit a Publisher’s website
- - - - - - - - - -
Farrar, Straus & Giroux
First Second Books
St. Martin's Press
- - - - - - - - - -
Feiwel & Friends
Farrar, Straus & Giroux Books for Young Readers
Henry Holt Books for Young Readers
Square Fish Books
COLLEGE & ACADEMIC
- - - - - - - - - -
MAGAZINES & JOURNALS
- - - - - - - - - -