Director of Talent and Development
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishing Holdings LP.
In partnership with Human Resources and business leaders, this position designs and drives competency-based talent management and leadership development strategies, tools and processes in the disciplines of performance management, succession planning, talent assessment, coaching and planning necessary to attract and retain high-caliber talent and develop leaders to meet the current and future business needs of Macmillan Publishers. This position is also responsible for development activities that enhance the organization's effectiveness.
Will include the following, but other duties may be assigned:
Talent Identification and Retention
• Integrate D&l principles into Talent Management processes throughout the employee lifecycle
• Create recruiting tools for managers/HR teams to use based on identified competencies.
• Work with recruiters to ensure that competencies and other business-relevant factors are being assessed
Performance Management and Development
• Develop and deploy new and innovative solutions and programs designed to continually enhance the knowledge and growth of employees.
• Develop company-wide, competency-based individual learning initiatives, including career paths, that effectively focus employee development toward achievement of both business and personal career goals.
• Ensure that employee development programs continue to evolve by role, level and skill and are aligned to the needs of the business by increasing productivity and engagement.
• Lead efficient and effective performance management programs that align with the business needs and attainment of requisite competencies that support Macmillan's strategic objectives.
• Create assessment tools for managers/HR teams to use based on identified competencies and competency levels.
• Own competency management software and create an implementation plan
• Leverage the group-wide L&D platform and manage the LMS to support common development needs across the group including management and leadership programs, coaching solutions and on-line learning portals.
• Devise an ongoing process that continuously enhances the knowledge and capabilities of key talent in order to enable effective leadership toward achievement of strategic initiatives.
• Build strategy and process for promotion, progression and succession planning through continuous talent reviews.
• Conduct competencies-based individual leadership, career and talent assessments as appropriate using a variety of tools.
• Develop and administer a process which focuses on building bench strength to meet current and future business needs.
• Serve as a resource to recruiting and business partners in the identification of candidates for critical roles.
• Provide coaching and support to key leaders in the creation of robust development plans that meet succession and development needs.
• Assist in building Employee Resource Groups, Employee Engagement, Rewards and Recognition
• Develop and maintain talent data and analytics (trends, contexts, etc.) and provide talent performance measures to gauge organizational and talent effectiveness
• Form collaborative relationships with Business leaders and HRBPs in order to execute talent strategies and efforts to support the growth/strategic objectives of the company.
• Research latest development in management, leadership and organization development areas and keep abreast to serve as a subject matter expert and consult to organization regarding critical people issues.
• Foster partnership with Global HR teams to identify best practices that can leverage across the group. Assist in building and deploying an organizational development practice that enables teams and organizations to continuously improve their performance and rapidly respond to changes in market realities facing the business.
• 10+ years of relevant talent development leadership
• Extensive experience and demonstrated success developing, designing and executing talent development programs and strategies across various functional disciplines
• Experience implementing large-scale organizational change strategies and initiatives
• Ability to understand business strategies and translate them into actionable and compelling talent development initiatives
• Collaborative and influential in partnering with HR Business Partners as well as Executive Business Leaders
• Comfortable with data: uses analysis to generate, evaluate, and act on strategic options and opportunities. Integrates quantitative and qualitative information to draw accurate conclusions.
• Understanding of D&l best practices in talent management
• Experience managing an LMS, developing and conducting training
• Strong project management skills
• Budget and staff management experience
• Excellent written, oral and positive influential interpersonal skills required; ability to communicate in both technical and non-technical terms
• Solid knowledge of MS Office products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Results-oriented; comfortable with a "hands-on" approach; highly organized and able to multitask
• Must be a problem solver and be able to work independently
Nice to haves:
• Master's Degree or advanced degree in Industrial/Organizational psychology
• Previous Lean or Six Sigma or other continuous improvement experience
• Experience in a global organization
• Experience in a publishing/media company
Send This Job to a Friend
Visit a Publisher’s website
- - - - - - - - - -
Farrar, Straus & Giroux
First Second Books
St. Martin's Press
- - - - - - - - - -
Feiwel & Friends
Farrar, Straus & Giroux Books for Young Readers
Henry Holt Books for Young Readers
Square Fish Books
COLLEGE & ACADEMIC
- - - - - - - - - -
MAGAZINES & JOURNALS
- - - - - - - - - -