Lead UX and Data Visualization Designer
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC.
We are looking for a Lead UX designer with data visualization experience to join our development team in our NYC headquarters. This role would be responsible defining the user experience of multiple Macmillan digital products for internal and external users. These products are part of Macmillan’s strategic direction of supporting more data-informed decisions across the company as well as level up our author and agent services. The data visualization requirement is intended to help non-technical users make sense of complex data. This role will empower and challenge you to use your full range of skills while having the opportunity for growth to meet the evolving needs of our customers, partners, and business demand.
• Own research, strategy, designs, usability, and prototyping for the platform products
• Work within the product team to deeply understand business needs and influence the ultimate goals and strategy of our organization through agile design and data visualization.
• Develop sketches, low- and high-fidelity wireframes, information architecture, inexpensive prototypes, design guides, illustration assets, and applicable device-specific styles and templates.
• Synthesize research to frame problems, uncover insights, find the best user experience and data visualization solutions to build alignments with business needs and get buy-ins from product leads, fellow peers, and business stakeholders
• Facilitate ideation, sketching, and design review sessions with the product leads and owners to generate innovative design and data visualization ideas for the platform products.
• Work within product and engineering to continuously test and iterate on designs and usability throughout the products life cycle.
• Collaborate and communicate effectively with product and engineering teams to define design requirements, user stories, user journeys, personas, visual mockups and assets that will bring your product experience vision to life and deliver a delightful user experience
• Participate in the application development agile process and play a pivotal rule to integrate design into the daily and planning scrums
• Work with your manager to build and foster a design and user experience culture that impacts the organization as a whole
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Minimum of five years in digital User Experience, Interface Design (UX/UI), interaction designer, or similar role
• A portfolio (or samples of work) demonstrating experience creating user-centric SaaS or digital products designs using intuitive user experiences and data visualization solutions
• Exceptional wireframing skills, with rapid turnover of features from sketches to high-fidelity
• Ability to collect, understands, and translates requirements to elegant UI/UX solutions
• Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills, including the ability to communicate complex design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences
• Proven ability to work cross-team and synthesize feedback and input from business leaders, product managers, and engineers
• Experience designing user experiences for responsive web applications and SaaS solutions—related digital book publishing experience is a big plus.
• Expert visual design acumen demonstrated through high-fidelity mockups, style guides, pattern documentation, user journeys, and design system thinking.
• Focus on delighting our users
o You think first from the perspective of the end user and set high standards for yourself, and the team in developing experiences that delight customers and help our organization achieve excellence serving our Authors and Readers.
• Utilizing data visualization for decision-making
o You have experience and passion for building data heavy tools that leverage data visualization techniques that can present complex data simply and intuitively to draw out meaning and enable quick actions within our business processes.
• Mastery of creating interactive experiences with design or wireframing software like Sketch, Balsamiq, InvisionApp, or with HTML/CSS when needed.
• Agile design thinking
o You define and iterate on design patterns and components within a series of complex, ever-evolving design systems.
o You don’t shy from introducing creative ideas into your designs.
o You can run user research, interviews and design critique meetings in a collaborative fashion that welcomes innovative ideas and feedback.
o You can drive iteration while ensuring alignment with the overall product vision from your managers and product owners.
• Experience working in an agile software development environment working closely with developers for proper implementation of designs.
• Proven analytical skills, shown through examples of driving design decisions with data analysis and user research.
• A passion for learning. You have a comprehensive understanding of the current state of web technology and best practices, with a critical awareness of implications on user-centered design and functionality.
Educational Background Required:
• Not required
Send This Job to a Friend
Visit a Publisher’s website
- - - - - - - - - -
Farrar, Straus & Giroux
First Second Books
St. Martin's Press
- - - - - - - - - -
Feiwel & Friends
Farrar, Straus & Giroux Books for Young Readers
Henry Holt Books for Young Readers
Square Fish Books
COLLEGE & ACADEMIC
- - - - - - - - - -
MAGAZINES & JOURNALS
- - - - - - - - - -