Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC (“BFW”), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources.
The Prepress Coordinator position supports the CRC department by processing and preparing author-provided manuscripts for press with little to no direction. This person works with various file formats and advanced editing tools to create a press worthy PDF. The Prepress Coordinator will trouble-shoot most file problems autonomously while maintaining exceptional communication with the Production Prepress Manager and the Editorial department on any issues. The Prepress Coordinator manages several titles at one time while maintaining high quality standards and staying on production schedule. This position also organizes and coordinates the training of seasonal help and offsite freelancers. Along with the Production Prepress Manager, the Prepress Coordinator is also a point of contact for the seasonal and offsite assistants to address any questions that may arise and will occasionally be assigning work to them.
Processes and prepares author-provided manuscripts for press. Trouble-shoots problems in the PDF. Creates title and copyright pages. Makes final proofreading revisions to projects and performs prepress and preflight procedures to ensure press worthy files. Reviews post-rip proofs prior to press.
Works closely with the editorial department to help troubleshoot author/file problems, answer questions, and provides prepress feedback as needed. Also works closely with the illustration department as needed to make sure the illustration files are correct and up to date in our project files.
Coordinates the training of seasonal help and offsite freelance resources, and assists the manager with answering questions and supplying support for them as necessary.
Provides back-up scheduling, title management, troubleshooting, vendor support and customer support, and supervision of the seasonal assistants and offsite freelancers for the Customer Rendered Content (CRC) department when manager is unavailable.
Helps to maintain the archived files, creating the physical project folders, and assisting in the guidance of the archiving process at the end of the production season if needed.
Performs various departmental tasks at the beginning of each production season, including the creation of project folders and copying previous edition files into new folders. Organizes illustrations/photos in project folders for each production season. Sizes, crops, and distills illustrations into PDF for placement in manuscripts. Photo editing as needed.
Assists in testing and assessing new software and/or workflows in the department, providing feedback to the manager, and assisting with department documentation as necessary.
- 3 years of experience working in a professional office environment is required.
- Illustrator CS5 (or greater) experience – for sizing, exporting, distilling illustrations into PDF and saving images for placement in manuscripts.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional experience – Creating press quality files, use of advanced editing tools within PDF files, embedding fonts, converting color to gray scale or RGB to CMYK, preflighting files, merging and arranging PDF files in correct order, paginating within a PDF, resizing PDF files, replacing low resolution images with high resolution images, photo editing using Photoshop within Acrobat/PDF file, etc.
- InDesign CS5 (or greater) experience: Intermediate level knowledge for creating new files with author’s manuscripts from Word. Formatting the text to the designated template and styling appropriately base on the individual author’s/manuscript’s needs. Sometimes working with existing InDesign files and making necessary revisions to update the manuscript.
- Photoshop CS5 (or greater) experience: Intermediate level knowledge for editing images, including but not limited to cropping, extraction, adjustment of tone, contrast, and color, and image cleaning.
- Must have excellent Microsoft Office experience – Ability to edit files, footers, headers, captions, paginate, format text, output to press quality PDF, etc.
- PowerPoint knowledge: Ability to edit files, insert images, manage file size, format text, output to press quality PDF, etc.
- Can work on both Mac and PC platforms.
- Possess great organizational skills
- Strong attention to details
- Great time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral (strong interpersonal communication skills)
- Customer service oriented
- Ability to problem solve and find solutions
- Follows processes and procedures exactly as outlined.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a professional attitude
- Willingness to participate in continued training and education to advance their skills in the department/company
- Work well as a team player
- Self-motivated to take ownership of their own goals/projects
- Experience with Enfocus Pitstop is a plus.
- Understand and efficiently use preflighting and certification workflows, and specific editing software and tools; follow department processes, image and illustration processes, and detailed steps for working a project from start to finish.
- Good spelling and grammar skills; knowledge of proofreading marks.
- Graphic Design Experience preferred
Send This Job to a Friend
Visit a Publisher’s website
- - - - - - - - - -
Farrar, Straus & Giroux
First Second Books
St. Martin's Press
- - - - - - - - - -
Feiwel & Friends
Farrar, Straus & Giroux Books for Young Readers
Henry Holt Books for Young Readers
Square Fish Books
COLLEGE & ACADEMIC
- - - - - - - - - -
MAGAZINES & JOURNALS
- - - - - - - - - -