||Seasonal On-Site Proofreader
||Excellent seasonal opportunity for experienced proofreader.
Hayden-McNeil, part of Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions, publishes custom laboratory manuals and textbooks primarily in the sciences. As proofreaders, we read author manuscripts against typeset copy to ensure that an author’s work has been set correctly
and that any author-requested changes have been made. We also correct for spelling, grammar, consistency, etc., but this is NOT a copyediting or writing position.
Prefer associate’s degree or higher in English, Journalism, Communications, or related field. Prior proofreading experience required. Experience proofreading biology and chemistry texts helpful. Some knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style also helpful. Candidates
must be extremely detail-oriented and able to focus for long periods of time.
Seasonal proofreader must work on-site. Assignment begins around mid-March and lasts through mid to late July. Applicants must be able to commit to the full length of the assignment. Minimal overtime may be required.
• Proofread custom laboratory manuals and textbooks according to house style guidelines
• Check pagination, table of contents, running heads, running feet
• Check for accuracy in numbered lists, figure numbering, table numbering, etc.
• Check for consistency in spelling, hyphenation, and usage in new projects during first proof
• Proof illustrations to ensure they have been placed correctly and are not cut off
• Ensure author-requested changes have been accurately made between proofs
• Other proofreading duties as assigned
Potential candidates will be given a proofreading test during an interview.