||Statistics Content Author (Contract)
Are you a statistician or statistics educator with a passion for teaching others? Do you have at least 15 hours a week to help improve education? Come join our team! Macmillan Learning is looking for contract authors to work on content creation for interactive
assessment items. Our work impacts thousands of students every day. We currently have contract author openings for our Introduction to Statistics and Introduction to Statistics for the Life Sciences projects to write interactive coaching questions.
- Given a brief description, use your expertise to write engaging, clear questions of varying difficulties that assess specific learning objectives and target common misconceptions.
- Within each question, craft hints, solutions, and targeted feedback that provide insightful diagnosis of common student mistakes and misconceptions to clarify student understanding, following a set of guidelines for style and student experience.
- Identify opportunities to use graphical elements instructively and communicate needs to a dedicated art group using descriptions and graphing source files created in R.
- Once trained, review the work of other authors and provide feedback to them.
- Flexible hours - work is sent Friday and due the next Friday, allowing you to set your own hours.
- Paid training - we’ll teach you how to get the most from our authoring system, our style, and our objectives for student experience.
- Peer collaboration - work and network with peer statistics educators.
- Weekly pay based on hours worked - receive direct deposit each week for the hours you put in the previous week.
- Impact thousands of students - help build the product that will be the future of higher education statistics education.
- Experience as a professor or classroom teacher is strongly preferred.
- Applicants with experience as a teaching assistant or the equivalent will be considered.
- Experience with introductory statistics in the biological or life sciences is strongly preferred
- Must be able to commit at least 15 hours a week to the project for 4 months.
- You may work a maximum of 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week.
- Strong technical background, preferably in web-based solutions.
- Experience with Google Drive, Google Sheets, LaTeX, and R is preferred.
- Possess exemplary written communication skills.
- If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be sent a short writing assignment which will be used to evaluate your potential as an author.
- Be adaptable, flexible, and collaborative.
- Experience with learning objectives, Bloom’s, and depth of knowledge is preferred.
- Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States (upon being hired).
- Masters or PhD (in progress qualifies) in Statistics
- OR Masters or PhD (in progress qualifies) in Mathematics with advanced coursework in statistics
- OR Masters or PhD in any subject and over 1 year of experience teaching statistics at the college level
- Work can be completed remotely.
- Work begins in January 2019 and concludes April 2019. There is a possibility of additional work after the project concludes.